Friday, February 7, 2014

Book-A-Day 7: Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems

Honey, I Love 
and other love poems
Written by: Eloise Greenfield
Illustrated by: Diane and Leo Dillon

This small book, tiny enough to fit in one's pocket is a classic!  Filled with beautiful short poems that are simple yet beautifully written.  Originally published in 1978, the poems transcend time and are still applicable to the children of today.  Each poem is narrated by the same child who carries all the things she loves from one page to the next.  A few of my personal favorites include, "Honey, I love", "Way Down In the Music" and "By Myself".  Should each poem be read aloud to students, I believe they would each find a different one to love or connect with in some way.  The illustrations are equally captivating.  Created by Diane and Leo Dillon, the combination of child-like sketches paired with child portraits only pulls the reader in that much more.


All of the poems in this collection are short with a distinct rhythm.  They would be perfect  to utilize in conducting a poetry slam or reading.  This book would also serve as a great mentor text for students to use in order to create poems about all the things they love.  How could they define their world through poetry?  How could they put rhythm to their words just like Mrs. Greenfield?  Rather than a traditional "All About Me" book, have students explain who they are to others through the lens of poetry.  


Watch out - the next time you stroll through the library you might just catch me moving and grooving towards the shelf that holds our poetry books silently singing the rhythm of Way Down in the Music to myself.  As I exclaim "I get down, I get down" I will slowly place Honey, I Love back on the shelf for the next reader to check out and enjoy as much as I do!


Eloise Greenfield was born in our very own North Carolina but moved to Washington DC while she was still a baby.  She still lives there today.  To learn more about Eloise Greenfield and other books she has written click here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment